Huawei has developed his own OS
Huawei Technologies, the biggest smartphone provider in China, said it has developed his personal operating system (OS) for its own smartphones and computers in the event that current OSs designed by US technology (Google and Microsoft) are prevented, by embargo, from providing them to Huawei.
The Chinese manufacturer Huawei, second in the world after Samsung and ahead of Apple in the smartphone market, announced last week to have developed its personal operating system to equip his mobiles and computers, only in the case, tensions between the United States and its group would result in an embargo against it.
The latter would deprive Huawei of offering its hardware with OS provided by Google and Microsoft, specifically Android and Microsoft Mobile. These facts were reported by Huawei’s mobile division chief, Richard Yu Chengdong, in an interview with German journal Die Welt. Yu’s comments confirm an earlier report by the South China Morning Post in April 2018, revealing the existence of a multi-year project to create an alternative to Google’s Android operating system.
Plan B only in case …
The starting of the development of this OS “owner” would date back to 2012, when the House Intelligence Committee (the Commission that oversees US intelligence agencies), accused Chinese equipment manufacturers Huawei and ZTE to threaten national security through computer equipment that can be used as espionage. Huawei has faced numerous US accusations, including stealing trade secrets, circumventing economic sanctions and concealing trade relations with Iran via an unofficial subsidiary.
Huawei has vehemently denied US accusations and confirms that he will sue the US government for the purpose of overturning the ban on its equipment. The House Intelligence Committee has gone out of its way by banning all of their network equipment except consumer products such as phones, tablets or watches.
In 2018, the latter were in turn banned from the shelves of major sellers as a result of internal political pressure (the Huawei Mate 10 is no longer available from any American operator such as AT & T, Verizon …). The United States has thus indicated its desire to protect itself against any attempt of espionage by Huawei whose founder is a former engineer of the Chinese army, on “the pay of the power”.
Richard Yu Chengdong goes on to say, “We have prepared our own operating system as it turns out that we can not use Android, for example. We will then be ready for our plan B “. One Huawei spokesperson said: “Huawei has alternative systems, but they will only be used under extraordinary circumstances. We do not plan to use them, and to be honest, we do not want to use them, “he said. “We fully support the operating systems of our partners because we value them and our customers love to use them. Android and Windows will always be our first choice. “
The battle continues …
“Huawei could face more serious repercussions than its rival ZTE if it is found guilty of violating the sanctions imposed on Iran,” industry observers said, as the US political climate became more protectionist and above all more wary of China’s technological and economic ambitions. For its part, Huawei announced on March 7 that it had filed a lawsuit against the US government to lift the US federal ban on providing its tools to federal agencies under the National Defense Act (National Defense Authorization Act – NDAA) of the country.
The announcement of the P30 and P30 Pro will not change the situation. To date, the two future flagship of the Chinese giant will come out well Android 9 (Pie).